Friday, February 3, 2012

It's never too late

“Life changes the minute you start doing what you love. And guess what, it’s never too late to get started.”—Dave Brown


I saw this quote yesterday and I love it.  This is how I feel about getting started in photography.  There is a creative part to my being that has been squashed for many years.  From broken relationships to single parenthood with a child who was bipolar and wreaked havoc on my life, my life was too busy to cultivate my creativity.  

When I was a child and through my teen years, I always wrote poetry.  I would even wake up in the middle of the night sometimes to jot down a poem or an idea for a poem.  

I went to cosmetology school and that was a creative outlet in a sense.  I was able to create certain hairstyles and I enjoyed that for a time.  However, I soon discovered that there wasn't enough income and I needed to move on to something else.  Moving on to something else did not get me far.  I spent many years working in social services.  No big salary there either. But, it fulfilled my need to help people.  


Photography and flower arranging have always been on the back burner of my mind.  When I lost my job 2 years ago, I got the opportunity to go back to college.  So here I am, and in the midst of pursuing a computer networking degree, I took the first digital photography course. I loved it!  I found some of that creativity that was put away so many years ago.  


So now I am taking the second digital photography course and I am thinking, "computer networking... what's that?"  I am not even interested any longer.  However, I am so close to finishing the degree, I feel obligated to do so.  I am going to continue to pursue  photography and see where it takes me.  I would love to be a professional photographer, but I know I have a lot to learn, and a long way to go.  


I found this watercolor image entitled "Never too late."  It really speaks to me because I have shed a lot of tears, and the bright, rainbow tears represent the lost creativity.  





No comments:

Post a Comment